ANHALT – PICKELHAUBE – OFFICER – INFANTERIE-REGIMENT NR 93
It has been some time since we have had the pleasure of offering a pickelhaube from the very small Duchy of Anhalt, Saxony’s neighbor. In 1900, the population of Anhalt was 271,963. Its capital was located in Dessau. Its final reigning Duke was Friedrich II, who ruled from 1904-1918. Anhaltisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr 93 was founded in 1807 during the Napoleonic Wars. Bataillone Nrs 1 and 3 were garrisoned in Dessau, while Bataillon Nr 2 was based at Zerbst. The regiment was assigned to the IV. Armeekorps.
The pickelhaube’s leather body is quite pleasing. Though not perfect, the bulk of the helmet’s (minor) imperfections appear on its right side (from the wearer’s perspective). These are minor ripples rather than gouges in the leather. Its wappen is especially handsome. At first glance, it looks like a standard Prussian wappen. A closer inspection reveals the word “Fürst” (indicating the Duke) rather than “König” for Prussia’s ruler. Its gold eagle displays a lovely, gilt-fired finish. A silver sunburst containing a crowned shield with an “A” in its center is superimposed over the eagle. All of the helmet’s other exterior furniture is gold-toned, including the chin scales, trim, base, officers’ stars and its VERY tall spike. Its final exterior details are the correct officers’ State’s and Reich’s kokarden.
The interior reveals a lightly-used, brown, leather sweatband, which is attached to a ribbed, rust-colored silk liner that is in fine condition. One hundred percent of the original hardware is visible under the silk liner. NO extra holes appear where the wappen is connected to the helmet’s leather body. It is one of the largest spiked helmets that we have encountered in quite awhile. Penciled on its interior is its size, “58 ½.” [We seldom see helmets larger than a “55”]!
This very-fine, original helmet would make a fine addition to your collection.