The Braunschweig War Merit Cross, also known as the Ernst-Augustkreuz, was a military decoration of the Duchy of Brunswick. The Cross was established 23 October 1914 by Ernest Augustus, Duke of Brunswick. The cross was awarded to all ranks for distinction in war. On 20 March 1918, a first class of the Cross was created in pinback form, with the existing Cross becoming the second class. The cross was awarded on a blue ribbon with yellow stripes for combatants and on a yellow ribbon with blue stripes for non-combatants.
Beautifully preserved, in like new condition, bronze cross features the center of the Cross on the obverse are the letters EA for Duke Ernest Augustus. On the horizontal arms of the cross are sprays of oak leaves.
The top arm of the cross bears the Brunswick crown. The date 1914 on the lower arm of the cross On the reverse is the inscription in three lines “Für, Verdienst im, Kriege” (For Merit in War) on the top, horizontal and lower arms of the cross, respectively. The original Combatants ribbon of blue and yellow stripes is included.