There are five pilots seen in it and we address them below:
- Kurt Wusthoff 1897-1926 He was a Pour le Mérite winner with twenty-seven confirmed victories. He was given command of Jasta 4 in Manfred von Richthofen’s JG 1. However he was “fired” by the “Red Baron” for not being aggressive and not getting along with his subordinates. He was the only C.O. to suffer this fate. He later commanded Jasta 15 and was shot down and captured by the French.
- Wilhelm Reinhard (1891-1918) He had twenty confirmed victories and while nominated for the Pour le Mérite his death while testing an airplane ended that. He was also made the second commander of JG 1 after the death of Manfred von Richthofen having served in Jasta 11. Interestingly in this photo he is seen wearing a PLM.
- Manfred von Richthofen (1892-1918) The greatest pilot of WW I he was the first commander of JG 1 having commanded Jasta 11. His final score was eighty airplanes.
- Erich Löwenhardt 1897-1918 He flew in Jasta 10 where he achieved fifty-four victories and the award of the Pour le Mérite. He was one of the most skilled pilots of WW I and was very aggressive.
- Lothar von Richthofen 1894-1922 The younger brother of Manfred von Richthofen he flew in Jasta 11 where he had forty victories and was awarded the Pour le Mérite. He was killed in a post war flying accident.