MECKLENBURG – STRLITZ – PICKELHAUBE / SPIKED HELMET – OFFCER – GRENADIER REGIMENT IR 89 II
This exciting offering hails from the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. If you did not pay close attention, you might suppose that it belongs to a Mecklenburg-SCHWERIN regiment. Some minor details, however, confirm that it actually hails from Mecklenburg-STRELITZ.
The Duchies of Mecklenburg (Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin) had a total population in 1914 of around 750,000+ (108,000 and 648,000). Together the two Duchies had, two Infantry regiments, IR 89 and IR 90; one Field Artillery regiment and a single battery, FAR 60 and FAR 24 Batt.3; two Dragoon Regts, DR 17 and 18; and one Jaeger Battalion, JB 14.
Officers in this Regiment were treated especially well as separate premises were created just for the Grenadier Officer Corps and ONLY the officers of the regiment had access and regular guests with a special duty.
- Plate: Brass with silver Meckleburg coat of arms
- Spike: Brass (Measures 4.25 inches tall)
- Spike Base: Round
- Rosette/Post: Tomback
- Chin Scale: Brass-Flat
- Parade: Spike
- Cockade: Officer (Blue Gold, Red) and Officer Reich (Black, Gold, Red)
- Pips: 4 Officer Stars
- Sweat band: Brown Leather
- Liner: Dark Orange Silk
- Front Visor Brass Trim with Green Leather
- Rear Visor: Red Leather
- Helmet Measures 9 inches long, 6.5 inches wide and 11 inches tall (with spike)
- There are no sizing markers.
- The interior has one additional hole under front plate and one in the back. The reason for these extra holes could be that the owner moved from IR 89 Battalion I or III (Mecklenburg Schwerin) to IR 89 Battalion II.
- All hardware intact and sturdy.
- Leather body shows aging. There is a chipped leather section at the front of the body near the top left of the plate. Please look carefully at the photos for full detail.