MITRE – NCO – PRUSSIA – MUSEUM COPY – PALACE GUARD – RUSSIAN-STYLE -SILVER-PLATED
For gala events, the Preußische Garde Unteroffizier Kompagnie’s NCO’s wore Grenadiermützen like those worn by the Erste Garde Regiment zu Fuß’s (EGRzuFUß) Bataillone Nrs I & II. Just like the EGRzuFUß, this Preußische Garde Unteroffizier Kompagnie’s Mitre displays a front shield made of silver-plated sheet-metal that bears a high-relief Order of the Black Eagle beneath a large crown. The metal shield is backed with black cloth, while the Mitre’s cloth body is red with three white strips running from its top down to its headband. The white cloth border/headband around the Mitre’s base features three flaming silver grenades. One is positioned on either side to fasten the correct, arched, brass, chin scales to the Mitre, while the third one appears at the Mitre’s rear. The top device, or Puschel, is a leather knob covered with white colored wool that sports a black center like that worn on the pre-1894 EGRzuFUß’ Mitres. No kokarden are worn on the Mitre. The Mitre’s interior is similar to a pickelhaube’s interior, featuring a leather headband with leather petals. Each petal contains a hole through which a leather string was threaded and tied in order to adjust the fit for each wearer.
This Mitre is in excellent condition, with NO moth holes or nips. This Mitre was worn by only 70 men, making it as rare as the Supravests worn by the Regiment der Guard du Corps’ Kürassiers (who also served as guards for the palace)! It is a consignment item.
The Prussian Palace Guard has an interesting history. On 30 March 1829, a group of experienced NCO’s with a minimum of 14 years of active duty, preferably with combat experience and military decorations, was formed under the name of the “Preußische Garde Unteroffizier Kompagnie” to provide security for Prussia’s König, as well as his royal palace and gardens. In addition the company, in combination with the Leib-Gendarmerie, formed the König’s personal body guard. The company was composed of 70 members, 69 of the NCO’s and one commanding officer. The Prussian Palace Guard was garrisoned in Berlin, Charlottenburg and Potsdam. Cassel was added as another garrison site beginning in 1866. All members were attired in the historic uniforms from König Friedrich der Große’s time.