PRUSSIA – CAP BADGE – K.Y.C. YACHT CLUB – THE ROYAL PRUSSIAN YACHT CLUB.
The Kaiserlicher Yacht Club (KYC) followed the Marine-Regatta-Verien (M.R.V.) which had been founded in 1887. At that point Prince Heinrich of Prussia, the younger brother of Kaiser Wilhelm II was the patron of the M.R.V. In 1891 Kaiser Wilhelm became the Commodore of the club which was renamed the KYC.
Both Naval officers and civilians were allowed to join the KYC. Even the Industrialist Alfred Krupp became a member of the club which was located in Kiel.
The Kaiser, besides being a supporter of the expansion of the Kaiserliche Marine, was an avid yachtsman. He entered his own yachts into the regattas.
We have on the site a tunic for a member of the KYC and several pieces of tableware from his yachts for he and his wife the Kaiserin. The one piece of tableware for the Kaiserin is particularly rare. Click Here To View
Today we share with you a cap badge for a visor cap which was worn by members of the KYC. The badge is oval shaped with a a black velvet background. In the center is an enameled metal badge with a multi colored Eagle. Atop the shield we see a gold bullion crown. There is also the initials “K” “Y” embroidered on either side of the enameled metal badge. At the 6 o’clock position we see a gold bullion anchor with a “C” superimposed over it.
The badge has been removed from a cap and shows modest and not excessive wear on both the obverse and reverse.