This is a postcard of the S. M. Torpedoschulschiff Blücher. She was commissioned in 1878 as a part of the Bismarck Class. She was originally intended to be a Corvette or Frigate. While she was steam-powered, she was also a three-masted sailing ship. Once completed, her use was changed to that of a school for sailors who would be serving aboard Torpedoboots. The postcard shows this handsome ship in profile sailing and under steam. As was the custom with early postcards, a message was written on its obverse. The reverse has the recipient’s address and a stamp. The postcard was written in 1901 Kiel, then sent to Berlin. It probably is the earliest German Navy postcard that we have ever offered.