This is a Sanke card of Oberleutnant Max Immelmann (1890-1916). He along with Oswald Boelcke were the leading aces during the period of 1915 until mid 1916. He along with Oswald Boelcke received the first PLM’s awarded to pilots in January 1916. Legend has it that the “blue Max” was named for Max Immelmann. He served in FAA 62 along with Boelcke. He was responsible for the invention of the Immelmann turn a maneuver still used today by pilots. He was killed in action in June of 1916. At the time he had seventeen confirmed victories. In this pose Immelmann is standing in a studio. He is holding his schirmütze in his hand. He has his PLM at his throat. On his left breast he has a medal bar, 1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class, and a Prussian Pilot badge. The card was not mailed.