BADEN – MERIT MEDAL – SILVER
The Baden Merit Medal was instituted 1907 by Grand Duke Friedrich II. (1908-1918 issue).
- Constructed of silvered zinc
- Loop for suspension from its period original ribbon (no ribbon attached)
- Obverse with a leftward-facing profile of Grand Duke Friedrich II
- Circumscribed by name and title
- Reverse with a central inscription of “FÜR VERDIENST” (“FOR MERIT”) within an oak leaf wreath
- Good condition
The Baden Silver Merit Medal was Baden’s equivalent of the 1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class. Issued pieces had a slot at the top where a ribbon was inserted instead of a conventional jump ring. This example, however, was intended for use on a medal bar and DOES have the jump ring. It may well be a post WW I example.