BADEN – MERIT MEDAL – SILVER
The Baden Merit Medal was instituted 1907 by Grand Duke Friedrich II. (1908-1918 issue).
- Constructed of silvered zinc
- Loop for suspension from its period original ribbon
- Obverse with a leftward-facing profile of Grand Duke Friedrich II
- Circumscribed by name and title
- Reverse with a central inscription of “FÜR VERDIENST” (“FOR MERIT”) within an oak leaf wreath
- Good condition
The Baden Silver Merit Medal was Baden’s equivalent of the 1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class. Issued pieces had a slot at the top where a ribbon was inserted instead of a conventional jump ring.
This is an early war example of the Silver Service Medal from Baden. This was their 1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class equivalent. It has a slot at the top and comes with a ribbon.